Our Retro Bungalow

Our Retro Bungalow
The journal of the making of an old house into a lovely new home.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Oh, HONEY!

It was inevitable.
Got my first bees sting this morning.
They say it's good for a keeper to get stung a few times each season.
Anyway...
earlier this week I posted the following Instagram:

Sweet, golden deliciousness.
I did a necessary micro-harvest so I could install the queen excluder and the honey super this afternoon.
Our Bungalow Bees are busy and thriving!
This photo looks like there is quite a substantial amount of honeycomb in this bowl.
Do not be deceived - it really wasn't a whole lot.
I transferred the honeycomb to my medium-size cooking sieve, set the 
sieve atop a medium-size pot and let it sit for two days. I turned the comb over in the 
sieve every once in a while to re-position it, allowing the honey to run from all the chambers.
To my absolute surprise and delight,
we ended up harvesting very nearly
TWO CUPS
of fresh, raw, organic honey!


And it is perfectly delicious!