Our Retro Bungalow

Our Retro Bungalow
The journal of the making of an old house into a lovely new home.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Homesick

A few weeks ago, Aubrey came over to borrow something 
that we keep just inside the closed doors of the storage container. 
Dean was at work, so she and I went out to retrieve the desired item. 
The lock and the various mechanisms of the doors make this no simple task. 
It actually requires a good deal of muscle. 
Thank goodness our girl, Aubrey, is buff! 


As soon as we swung those heavy, fortress-like doors wide open, 
the smell of home 
overtook me. 
Dean and I had been in that storage container a few times
throughout the winter months, 
but I suppose that since the day was nice and warm the aroma was intensified.
All our furnishings, decor, dishes, appliances, books, bedding...
90% of everything we own is packed 
snugly from top to bottom and side to side in that 9'x8'x40' freight train container.
I realized at that moment I'd forgotten how good home smells.
I've been pained with a woeful case of homesickness ever since.
I just keep telling myself,
"Chin up, Mrs Mossi! You're almost home."