Our Retro Bungalow

Our Retro Bungalow
The journal of the making of an old house into a lovely new home.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Retro Bungalow's First Thanksgiving

WE DID IT!
By the skin of our teeth.
Thanksgiving 2014 happened here at
Our Retro Bungalow.
We were originally scheduled for granite installation on Friday the 21st,
but there was a small detail on the base cabinets that bothered me.
On the Saturday before that install date, I texted our granite gal 
and told her there was a chance we may need to re-template that section.
On Monday, Raymond, our installer, told me he could change that little detail for me 
without changing the dimensions of the counter tops. 
I let Sherrie, our granite gal, know as soon as Raymond assured me of this.
That little detail bumped us all the way to Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.
I expected the crew to show up early and I was ready for them.
They didn't arrive until about 3:30.
I was anxious and, admittedly, irritated.
As it turned out, it was a very good thing they showed up late.
 Dean got home from his 9-5 early and if he hadn't been here to 
make some modifications on the master bath vanity for them
and give them strict guidance on the placement of the kitchen faucet,
I'd be one very unhappy woman with the way things would have turned out.
It is a blessing that they showed up so late.
The three man (young men) team worked hard and didn't leave until 10:30!
I felt bad that all I had to offer them were Keebler chocolate chip cookies and milk.
I really should have done a burger run for them and I still feel bad that I didn't.
Anyway...
here are a few highlights in the form of photos and captions of
Thanksgiving.
We have SO MUCH to be thankful for.

I was so overcome with gratitude as I rolled out the traditional 
crescent rolls on our lovely island that a lump swelled in my throat
and I got weepy - a very happy kind of weepy.

Before the table setting was complete, Emmy put herself 
right in the middle of the action. Thanksgiving holiday decor was sparse due to so much 
still being packed and in storage, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume 
she thought she was contributing. She was, however, quickly shooed off the table.
Despite a lot of help from Larissa in the way of traversing mountains of boxes 
in the storage container, we could not locate any of our glasses and 
had to resort to using plastic. 
Bleh.

Our feast before the feasting began.
This year we had Jo-Tan, Mr & Mrs Brunty and Aubrey join us.
We'd hoped for the entire Mossi family, but when you have married children
you just accept that you have to share them.
Kimberly's dad is single and lives alone, so 
Mr & Mrs Mossi The Younger had Thanksgiving with him.
The Sadlers' enjoyed their holiday meal with Jay's family, 
as is their custom on every even year. 
We get them on odd years because, I'm told, in-laws are odd. 
I can't argue with that.
Mr and Mrs Mossi The Youngest
(that'll be made official in 13 days)
enjoyed their Thanksgiving meal with Abigail's family.
I certainly can understand that as Zac, Abigail's brother and only sibling,
just barely returned home from serving his mission in Germany.

Shortly after clearing the table, Aubrey went into a tryptophan induced coma.
Haha, not really.
She had worked her 9 hour shift at the hospital, arriving home around midnight
after which she stayed up til 1:00 watching Jim Gaffigan on Netflix with her dad
AND THEN
got up three hours later to run a 5k with Larissa in Draper.

Lars on the left, Aubs on the right after the race.

Mrs Brunty, aka "Lars", servin' up Thanksgiving pie.
YUM..

On t'ward evening, our holiday absentee children trickled in.
It's always so much fun when we're all together...
especially with grandchildren running wild.

Thanks to Poppo and me, Madi is well versed in the proper usage of squirty cream.
Gotta learn 'em when their young, ya know.

Cowboy and Cupcake spent quite a bit of time sitting at the island with the desserts.
In a hushed voice with her nose nearly touching mine, Ellie confessed, 
"I love sugar."

Here she is cutting herself another piece of Aunt Aubrey's amazing fudge.

The cabinet installation is not quite complete, so the pantry does not have
its pull-outs and shelves yet. I hope he doesn't think this is just a fun place made for 
playing and hiding in because he'll sure be disappointed when those are installed.

Cowboy, Kitten and Cupcake on Thanksgiving night.
We are so very thankful to be their  Poppo and Nonna.

And then there's 
THIS...


These two kooks playin' with my iPad again.
They will be welcoming our fourth grandchild, Oliver, in January. 
Poor kid.
There are some things we're gonna have a hard time explaining to that boy.
(but we love them anyway ;-})

We are deeply grateful for our blessings.
It's wonderful to be so close to living normally in 
Our Retro Bungalow,
but mostly we're thankful for our Savior and His restored gospel.
We are thankful for each other, for family and abundance.
And thank you for stoppin' by again.
Hopefully I'll have photos of a completed kitchen and other details 
for next week.
Good night and God bless.