Our Retro Bungalow

Our Retro Bungalow
The journal of the making of an old house into a lovely new home.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

It's well after 10 o'clock and I'm so ready to go to bed.
I was intending on doing this earlier, but other things happened
that sidelined blogging until now;
happy things like this Mr & Me going for this year's very first 
Sunday drive in Amica with the top down.
And I put a lasagna together which was nearly completely consumed with Ry joining us
and lingering over dinner with conversation of plans for the coming months.
Aaaannnnd...
just as we were leaving to deliver my Primary materials to our Primary president
(yes, I have a new calling),
we were ecstatic to see Aubrey and Cameron pull into our driveway.
We hadn't seen our girl in six weeks. 
She's been in Singapore, Malaysia, Myanmar (Burma), Vietnam, Indonesia, 
and as you can imagine we are are grateful, happy and relieved to have her back home 
considering the tragic disappearance of flight MH 370 that 
happened while she was in that part of the world.
We listened for over an hour to the accounts of her many adventures
of surfing in Bali, walking amongst the komodo dragons on Komodo Island,
maneuvering her way through the congested street of Jakarta and so much more.   .
She's healthy, happy, tired, very tanned, and, most importantly she's 
HOME.

So, 
about the Bungalow...
here are the highlights.

Plumbing is done.
Well, except there are a few small leaks at the manifold that need to be figured out 
and, of course, the fixtures being installed and I can hardly wait for that, let me tell you.
One of our outside spigots. Exciting, I know.

And we got the exterior trim on the doors...
The garage back door.

The house back door.

Our front door.

The front door and back door of the house still need trim between the 
doors and transoms and we'll get that done this coming week.
And by the way,
that mistake that I mentioned in my last post...
that mistake that I said was my fault...
well, guess what.
It wasn't my fault.
Nope.
As we were installing that trim,
we discovered that it was 
Dean's fault!
Yep.
But, we are happy with how it turned out, regardless.

One of the things on my personal RTDL (running to-do list) is 
dismantling the old deck out back. 
I was so thankful to have our boy, Justin, show up yesterday and start digging into that.
We really appreciate when our children can show up to help out.

A couple of weeks ago I went through the house and hammered out all the nails 
in the sheathing that missed going into studs. I left those nails in place, sticking out on the 
outside of the sheathing. Yesterday, Dean went back around the entire outside and, wherever there were 
nails sticking out, he replaced them making sure to sink them into studs this time. 
We walked through a couple of houses under construction while out for that 
drive in Amica today and noticed that the framers of those houses missed a lot of studs 
when they nailed up the sheathing. 
Betcha they'll stay that way too. 
That's too bad.

That's about all I got for tonight.
Thanks again for stoppin' by.
Good Night and God Bless.