Our Retro Bungalow

Our Retro Bungalow
The journal of the making of an old house into a lovely new home.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

More Plumbing, 20 Cans of "Great Stuff" and A FUN Reveal


Yep,
that's right...
more plumbing.
The good news is that installation for all the 'outgoing' plumbing is complete.
The following photos are parts of the vent system in the attic...

I've known this man, Mr Mossi, since January, 1982 and he has yet to cease impressing me.
What he doesn't know, he figures out; he just does.
I can't begin to tell you how much I  love and appreciate that about him.

And then there was

this stuff.
Six bucks a can doesn't sound too bad,
UNLESS YOU NEED TWENTY CANS!
Sheesh, that was kind of a painful purchase for me to make.
I insulated around all the windows with it...

and then trimmed it...

and when I look at the trimmings all over the floor...
it nearly does me in thinkin' about how much of those six dollar cans times twenty was
WASTE.
AHRG...

But, are you ready for the
REALLY FUN
part of this post?

THE FUN REVEAL?

Yeah, sure you are!

I got a call from Patrick on Wednesday telling me that our
art glass window would be ready on Thursday.
I called Dean on my way to pick it up and was telling him how nervous I was about seeing it.
I was worried about whether I would like it or not.
That worry was because I had designed it, chosen the colors and the textures of the glass,
but had no idea how it would ultimately turn out.
When Patrick brought it out from it's padded, protective cubby
in his shop I nearly got teary eyed,
because...
I INSTANTLY LOVED IT!
I was SO thrilled that I really wanted to give Patrick a
GIANT HUG.
But I didn't.
He's kind of the stand-offish type, unlike myself, and I'm not sure
that would have gone over well.
Anyway,
without further adieu.....


Here is a photo of it, in different light, before Patrick put it in the frame...


What's really awesome is when the work lights are on in the house at night and
you're coming up Fruitland from the south, it just SHINES out at you.
We LOVE it.

I haven't been good at making notes at the end of each day about what we've done,
but the other things that come to mind are:

Dean and I went together to view a different Carrara marble slab;
the first one had a crack that I was concerned about.
I'd talked to Sherrie, our fabricator, about it and she decided that with that crack,
we actually didn't have enough square footage, as I'd suspected.
That was disappointing, because I really liked that particular slab - it was beautiful.
Sherrie selected another one for us, which we ended up liking just as well.

Also, I met with our cabinet guy again.
When I mentioned my recent 'whim' in regard to the species of wood I thought I
might like to use for our kitchen island, he gave me a puzzled look and
said that he's only done one job in the last four years with that particular wood.
When he told me that, my confidence in that whim only grew stronger.

That's all I've got for tonight.
Thanks for stopping by again.
We sure do appreciate your encouragement and enthusiasm.
Good night and God bless.