Our Retro Bungalow

Our Retro Bungalow
The journal of the making of an old house into a lovely new home.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR from The Bungalow.

I'm back.
It's been nearly an entire month since I last reported on our progress here at 
The Bungalow.
Things really slowed down for a while and what little there was 
just didn't seem like enough to bother with - that's one reason.
There was also everything that goes along with Christmas, which
 kept me busy and distracted.
And a wonderful Christmas it was!
Grandchildren make it such a sweet, magical experience.
 We sure hope ya'all had a very merry one too.

Last I blogged I told ya all about our water woes and how they were fixed.
Well, we had more problems with frozen pipes soon after that post.
One week night, I believe it was the Wednesday night after the last post, 
Mr and Me were up until 1a.m. working on cutting, rerouting, doubling up 
and attaching more heat tape and doubling up and re-insulating all our lines. 
We also added a heat lamp under the trailer as an additional measure.
We were frustrated, tired and cold.
But that's all behind us now and we haven't had any problems since and I
thank Heaven (and my awesome husband) for that.

So, what have we gotten done?
 I really shouldn't say "we", because I haven't been able to do much except
for cleaning up all the debris, stacking lumber, sucking water (melted snow) out of the
basement with the shop-vac, shoveling snow off of the sub-floor, purchasing materials
and holding the fort trailer down while all the construction happens.
Anyway...
the basement is COMPLETELY framed.
I'd post a photo, but I don't have one handy and it's dark out now,
so I can't go snap one real quick-like.
It's exciting seeing the definition of the rooms down there.
The roof (it's been a real booger, let me tell you) is 90% sheathed.
There's overbuild for the west facing gables that still needs to be done,
one barge rafter left to put up, and a little bit of sheathing. 
Dave, our helper, got a full-time position with a neighboring school district,
so he hasn't been available as much.
 We are very happy, though, that he and his family have been
so blessed with this new employment opportunity.
We've had some other fantastic helpers and what a blessing that has been!
A fellow in our ward who happens to do rough framing for a living
came and worked with Dean for a few hours on a couple of weeknights.
Yesterday he brought three of the guys from his work crew
who'd never seen our project before.
They were extremely impressed with the quality of work done on
the truss setting and frieze blocking.
That's the only way Dean Mossi, does anything - with excellence.
Our Saturday "guest crew" got a lot done.
Two of them told us they'd be happy to come work for us next Saturday.
We are thrilled!
And then there's this guy...
Seriously, we can't keep him away!
He's an awesome son-in-law and we love him to pieces.

I've taken very few photos lately, but here are a couple...

I LOVE our DEEP overhang! LOVE IT, I'm tellin' ya.

And here's a not-so-great look at the back (east) side.
And, yes, the guys have been running the sleds up and around the property.
I really, really, really hope our neighbors don't hate us for that.

Also,
I ordered the windows.
You may not think that's a big deal, but
TRUST ME...
it's huge.
I had some major anxiety and even sleepless nights over windows.
I called it an acute, prolonged, case of panes pains.
I drove Mr crazy.
And that's why it was so important that I found a great window guy to work with;
Shawn has been very understanding and EXTREMELY patient with me.
And he's funny - reminds me a lot of Bill Murray.
I changed my mind about 10,000 times and agonized over brand, frame color,
configuration, grids or no grids, size, placement.
I drove myself crazy with all that.
But, just like the frozen pipes, that's all behind us now.
And I feel good about my final decisions.
They should be delivered the end of next week.
I also ordered our interior doors.
Yeah, it's early, but I wanted to avoid the annual price hike of 4 to 6 percent.
Also, all but three of them are special order.
The main level ones will take about six weeks for
assembly ,shipping and delivery.
They should arrive close to the time we start sheetrock,
but we won't actually need them til that's done.

That's all we've got for now.
Next week I should have a photo of the front elevation, and barring any
 unforeseen snowfall, we should be completely sheathed and
the overbuilds (front gables) should have a good start.
It's exciting.
It's an adventure.
And, yes, we are staying warm. 
Thanks for stopping by.

And I'd like to say "Hello" to Peter!